Hate to be bringing up such a horrid subject but I wanted everyone to remember Dachshunds can and do drown in swimming pools.
Never leave them alone near a pool or body of water even if yours is a good swimmer.
They could easily fall in – or just fancy a swim and jump in – and then find they cannot get out again.
Look at their little legs, most swimming pools are too difficult for them to reach the sides.
I know of a Dachshund that sadly died this month – his owner said that he often went for a splash around when they were swimming. However, this time he jumped in when he was alone outside and could not get out.
Tips if you have a pool:
- Think about installing a fence around your pool (some states in the USA this is compulsary)
- Cover your pool – If you have a cover and your Dachshund will be outside alone then please use it.
- Inform ALL family members and visitors of the risk of your Dachshund not being able to get back out of the pool.
- Get a kids paddling pool for them to play in – especially if you Dachshund loves water.
- Get them a life jacket to wear when swimming – these are also come with a handle on top so it is easy to scoop your Dachshund up.
- Make sure your Dachshund understands a Stop command – No! Stop! and obays it – training, training! If they understand and react your Dachshund will be safer from danger.
Dachshund Luke added Dachshund Life Jackets to his Dog toys and Supplies That Dachshunds Love site – Click Here to have a look.
I found this site when looking up training and liked the free video
Online dog training video that is worth looking at.
Our little Dachshunds are precious but also have a mind of their own. Know where your Dachshund is and train him to come back when called.